Tuesday, July 21, 2015

MST3K's Frank: "We Were Ahead Of The 'Too PC' Curve"

Frank Conniff as "TV's Frank" and Trace Beaulieu as Dr. Clayton Forrester from MST3K

Frank Coniff, who played the hapless assistant "TV's Frank" to the hopeless mad scientist Dr. Forrester in Mystery Science Theater 3000 (MST3K for short), recently posted a reflection on his Facebook about his time writing for the show:
The current debate about PC comedy has got me thinking about this because when I look back to that glorious era of my life at Best Brains, I think in some ways we at MST3K were ahead of the curve when it comes to being "too PC." ...we were also very conscious about not doing jokes that would be offensive to women or gay people or any other marginalized group. Did we police ourselves? Absolutely... But on the other hand, I'm proud that we went against the tide of the racist, misogynistic, and homophobic comedy that was quite prevalent back then.

No comments:

Share This Post